Most of us put butter on the Thanksgiving table without much thought. It’s just butter right? I mean how much thought do you put into it? Most of the time it’s something we just pull out of the fridge and from many it’s not even butter. What if I told you that instead, you could totally up your butter game and wow your guests! How? Simple. Make your own butter! Don’t roll you’re eyes. It’s so easy you won’t believe it.
So here is all you need. A stand mixer, some cheesecloth, and a quart of heavy whipping cream. Thats it and other than a little paying attention at the beginning and listening at the end that’s all you have to do. The mixer does all the work.
So here it is. This recipe and technique is from The Gefilte Manifesto. Yet another of many great recipes they offer:
- 1 quart Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 tablespoons Dried Minced Onion
- 2 tablespoons White Sesame Seeds
- 1 tablespoons Black Sesame Seeds
- 1 tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- 1 tablespoon Onion Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons Salt
- Pour the whipping cream into a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Start the whisk slowly, as there is a lot of liquid in the bowl, and steadily raise the speed as the cream whips until it it at it’s highest speed. Let it continue to whip.
- I personally will throw a light weight kitchen towel like a flour-sack towel over the mixer to minimize the splashing but the splash guard may work just as well.
- Listen to the mixer. Once you hear sloshing, after you have seen it become whipped cream, this means the butter has separated. Lift the towel and take a peak to see how it’s coming along. If you can see that the butter has separated you can stop the mixer.
- Now you have butter and buttermilk. This buttermilk is perfectly usable for any other recipes you might need buttermilk for so feel free to keep it for another use.
- Line a bowl with cheesecloth and pour all the contents into it. Pull up all the corners and start twisting until you have a nice tight ball. (The more you twist the more liquid will come out do keep and eye out that you done get buttermilk squirting out everywhere.
- Place the butter back into the mixing bowl and switch to the flat beater attachment. Beat on a medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the remaining ingredients to flavor the butter and beat until well combine.
- Shape however will best suit your needs. This is best served at room temperature.
Once you do this you’ll see what fun making your own butter is! Feel free to flavor it however you like. Your guests will be so impressed you made your own butter! This is also the perfect topping for the Seeded Honey Rye Pull Apart Rolls.